Friday, September 6, 2019

Renew Me, Lord



From time to time I use this space to share my criteria for selecting music. This affords insight into this process while allowing me an opportunity to refine my vision.

The music we sing is selected based on:
  1. The scripture of the day (particularly as it resonates with this community)
  2. The particular solemnity or feast day
  3. The current liturgical season
  4. The part of the liturgy where the song is used
  5. A civic holiday or special event
Each of the above is listed in the order of its importance. Today’s musical choices, however, deviate from this norm.

Our prelude, the Ave Maria commemorates the birth of the Blessed Mother celebrated on 9/8.

Today’s gathering/processional is a result of my search for what I would call “The Song of September.” “Renew Me, O Lord” (#645) will be repeated each Sunday this month as it speaks to our return from summer rest to fall routine.

Our offertory and communion songs reflect both a yearning for God and the special care that God has for the poor; themes which occur in the Sunday scriptures over the next several weeks.

I’ve chosen “Hallelujah Is Our Song” (#171) as we go forth into a week where we remember 9/11 and grapple with the senseless gun violence that continues to plague our nation.

Blessed to be in ministry at St. Mary’s,


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why won't you be my neighbor?

  October 25th 2020 3oth Sunday in Ordinary Time   Thus says the LORD: You shall not oppress or afflict a resident alien,  for you were once...