Saturday, June 6, 2020

Trinity Sunday

In the name of the Father, the Son, and Holy Spirit…..




On Sunday nights b.c.* I would religiously tune-in to a radio show and podcast called  “Bullseye”. Its creator and host; Jesse Thorn interviews personalities in arts and culture.   While I like the show, my favorite part comes at the end.  No matter how much of the show I miss, I tune in just to hear Thorn’s clever sign-off:

“And I think that’s about it….  
Just remember: all great radio hosts have a signature sign off.”

The recent gospel readings could be considered Jesus’ sign-off.  Some of these come directly from a portion of John’s Gospel sub-titled “The Farewell Discourse”.  Jesus speaks about the relationship between Himself and the Father.  Here is a portion.  The setting is The Last Supper:

Philip said to him, “Master, show us the Father, and that will be enough for us.” Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you for so long a time and you still do not know me, Philip?   Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’?”   John 14:8-10

I see a connection between the content of Jesus’ farewell and today’s Solemnity of The Most Holy Trinity. 

We are Baptized in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. We have been taught from childhood to bless ourselves and to do good works in the same three-fold name.  

The Trinity plays a prominent role in liturgy.  It is found in the Opening Greeting and Final Blessing.  We affirm it in the Creed.  The Trinity can also be seen in the form of many prayers and reflections.  

Unfortunately, trying to understand the Trinity is as futile as asking Jesse Thorn what exactly is his signature sign-off.  

Again, from the Jesus’ words at the Last Supper:

In a little while the world will no longer see me, but you will see me, because I live and you will live.  On that day you will realize that I am in my Father and you are in me and I in you.  John 14:19-20

Here are two things we can conclude:

  1. The trinity is about relationship; specifically the unique relationship between God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit.

  1. We as Christians are inextricably bound to God by our relationship with Jesus.

Next week’s Liturgical note will take a look at the implications of these two conclusions.

Missing you,

Bruce

PS
You can find a 12-15 minute recorded Livestream that gives more of the scriptural background for this Liturgical note on Facebook, Youtube or the St. Mary’s Parish Website.  Look for  Ready2Receive for Thursday, June 4th.  If you can’t find it, send me an Email.

* b.c. (before covid)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why won't you be my neighbor?

  October 25th 2020 3oth Sunday in Ordinary Time   Thus says the LORD: You shall not oppress or afflict a resident alien,  for you were once...