Saturday, May 16, 2020

I wlil not leave you orph...s

I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you.John 14:18



I am not trying to be insensitive, particularly to children whose parents have died.  But for me, the word “orphan” carries a strong and counterproductive meaning. 




In order to reflect on what Jesus is saying in this Sunday’s gospel, I need to put aside this word.  Instead, I will focus on what it means to be without the physical, emotional and financial support of parents.  But it’s even more than this.  Perhaps the following example will help.  
My grandmother died when my mother was 60.  Here’s how mom described her feelings:
“Despite the roles being reversed and my having taken care of Grandma for many years,
her death leaves me feeling alone, cut off, and vulnerable.” 


Being alone, cut off and vulnerable is a good way to describe how the apostles felt when Jesus gsaid he was leaving.  To be honest, I’ve visited these places and the nearby “abandoned” a few times over the past 9 weeks.  Hi b
Bow about you?


“The Advocate, the holy Spirit that the Father will send in my name—he will teach you everything and remind you of all that [I] told you.”       John 14:26
Jesus knows our hearts.  He has sent the Advocate.  He calls us to advocate for others.  Here are 2 examples of people whom I admire and that you might know:
  1. Megan Armando is a lawyer who serves as a law guardian for the public defender's office.  Megan protects children.  Some of these children are literally orphans and some are alone, cut off and vulnerable for other reasons.  
Note: Often called “advocates” lawyers literally argue and plead for their clients. 
   
  1. Tish Palumbo is a visiting nurse who advocates for her clients. She fights for their needs with an intensity she would never use to have her own needs met.  Tish will argue their cause with ANYONE keeping them from the BEST care possible. This includes but is not limited to: supervisors, insurance companies, doctors, and those who are too lazy to give the patient their full effort.  
We all need to have…... and to be…... an advocate.  Come Holy Spirit.
At a distance but feeling closer than ever,
Bruce

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why won't you be my neighbor?

  October 25th 2020 3oth Sunday in Ordinary Time   Thus says the LORD: You shall not oppress or afflict a resident alien,  for you were once...