Monday, April 1, 2019

Lent IV



By love we're invited,

here mercy prevails

God, in your goodness

we share a place at your table.

     from “A Place At Your Table  
Text and Music Ben Walther

On the 4th Sunday of Lent we are presented with a familiar parable from the 15th chapter Luke’s gospel. When I was young, I knew it as the Parable of the Prodigal Son.  More recently, I’ve heard it called the Parable of the Generous Father.  My current bible uses the word “lost” to describe it and the preceding two parables.

The Lost Sheep
The Lost Coin
The Lost Son

As I reflect on the Parable of the Lost Son, I think of my grandmother and grandfather. Everyone was invited to their tiny apartment for holiday dinner. All were equally welcome, those who visited often and those who came infrequently.

My Mom tells me about her uncle Pete who would be welcome at my grandparents table (and couch) when he “got in trouble” with his wife.  I suspect this was more often than infrequent as Uncle Pete enjoyed spending time at the racetrack and the local tavern.

Today’s music selections are based on the Parable of the Lost Son.  
• A Place At Your Table (#850)
• Amazing Grace (#432)
• Gracious God  (#118)
While different in style, they each speak of God’s welcoming grace. They also point out like the brothers in today’s gospel we each come to God as saint and sinner, sighted and sightless, lost and found.  

I pray that at least one of these songs sings to your heart.

Blessed to be in ministry with you and at St. Mary’s,

Bruce

Addendum

Being blessed to be at St.Mary's is more than a catch-phrase.  This past weekend the assembly and music ministry shared a moment of blessing as we sang Amazing Grace together.  (Y)our voices breathed life and spirit to a wonderful but sometimes tired and worn hymn.

BM

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why won't you be my neighbor?

  October 25th 2020 3oth Sunday in Ordinary Time   Thus says the LORD: You shall not oppress or afflict a resident alien,  for you were once...