Saturday, May 5, 2018

Sixth Sunday of Easter



“When you eat my body and you drink my blood,
I will live in you and you will live in my love.”
From “We Are One Body” words and music by Dana Scallon


I have been writing these notes since I became music director at St. Mary's about 5 years ago. My purpose is to highlight connections between the music I have chosen and the day’s scripture as well as share how these connections influence my own faith journey.

In last week’s gospel, Jesus used the image of the vine to explain the relationship between himself and God the father:
“I am the true vine and my Father is the vine grower.” John:15:1.

He also used it to describe the relationship between himself and us:
“I am the vine, you are the branches.”
John 15:5a

Had it not been for several excellent homilies, the second half of this verse might have slipped by unnoticed.
“Whoever remains in me and I in him will bear much fruit, because without me you can do nothing.”
John 15:5b

This idea of remaining in God through Christ carries through into today’s gospel:
“As the Father loves me, so I also love you.
Remain in my love.”
John 15:9

But……Just how do I remain in God’s love? 

I’ve struggled with this all morning.

Jesus knows me well enough not to give me some vague description of what he wants me to do.  He knows I’m much better with simple directions.  Things like: Love God and love your neighbor.  Even the commandments are more my style.  (Ten is lot but at least they’re all spelled out.)  

The answer came this afternoon as I left Retro Fitness.   (Yes.  Seriously.) As I went to grab the door handle I saw the sign that has become invisible due to its’ familiarity.

See you tomorrow!

That’s it!  I can remain in Jesus by returning to Jesus.  

What could that look like for you?

It might be going to www.usccb.org/bible/readings  to read the scripture reading of the day.

It might be taking a second look at our church bulletin (also online at www.stmarysnutley.org to find a way of connecting with the St. Mary’s Nutley portion of God’s vine. 

It might be caring for the need of someone in the name of Jesus.

It might be as simple as picking up Nonna next Sunday to bring her grandson or granddaughter for their second holy communion. 

It might be something different.  Who am I to limit the Holy Spirit?

Blessed to be at St. Mary’s

Bruce





No comments:

Post a Comment

Why won't you be my neighbor?

  October 25th 2020 3oth Sunday in Ordinary Time   Thus says the LORD: You shall not oppress or afflict a resident alien,  for you were once...