Sunday, May 24, 2020

Ascension 2020

WHY ARE YOU STANDING THERE 
LOOKING AT THE SKY?   


Of what use is the Bible?

We hear it in church.  We see it in posts on the internet.  There are snippets of it in our conversations, books and films.  Some base predictions on it’s words and numbers.  Some use individual verses to justify their actions. “An eye for an eye, it’s in the bible.”  BTW This logic is flawed.  See my blog of February 20th Turn the Other Cheek?

How do YOU apply the Word of God to “real life”?

A long time ago, I was advised to never ask a question I was unwilling to answer myself.  So….The bible helps me to better know the God who created me, saved me and reaches out to me in countless ways.   I attempt to apply this knowledge my daily decisions.  

I share it as first as a fellow traveler and second as a church musician in two principle ways:

  • A 12-15 video called Ready 2 Receive is what I’ve learned about the day’s scripture based on years of study and recent research. It Livestreams on the St. Mary's RC Church Nutley Facebook on Thursdays at 7 p.m. but you can view it anytime.


In the account of Jesus’ Ascension, Luke writes the following:

“While they were looking intently at the sky as he was going, suddenly two men dressed in white garments stood beside them. They said, “Men of Galilee, why are you standing there looking at the sky?       Acts 1:10-11a

Why were the apostles standing there looking at the sky?  Maybe it’s because they were stunned.  Maybe it’s because their spirits were moving in the exact opposite direction as Jesus.  

Decide for yourself.  

Jesus rises from the dead and enters the locked room where they are hiding.  He touches them. Talks with them. Eats with them.  They go out and in His name are preaching, converting and healing.  And now he’s leaving?  

If I were them, I’d be singing the line from that Sinatra tune: “Riding high in April.  Shot down in May.”  

Can you think of any parallels for yourself in this year which among its promises were to be the year of perfect vision?

Blest to be in ministry at St. Mary’s,

Bruce

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why won't you be my neighbor?

  October 25th 2020 3oth Sunday in Ordinary Time   Thus says the LORD: You shall not oppress or afflict a resident alien,  for you were once...