Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Easter 2019

Clean Up Your Mess Love Mother Earth Women's V-Neck Plus Size T-Shirt 
We live in a world of memes. They fill our Facebook and online news feeds.  We receive them from friends and share them on Instagram. Some stay awake into the wee hours searching for more or creating their own. 

For those of us over 50, memes are the new T-shirts. For those of you under 50; allow me to explain. Back in the day you could go to a store and have a custom t-shirt made using heat applied letters and pictures.  Some of these creations (like “Respect Your Mother” and a picture of the earth) became the memes of the day.

As I prepared to write this article a meme captured my attention and sparked my imagination.  Actually it started as a quote in the g-mail signature of Tom Conry.  Tom is a liturgist, composer, educator and activist who graciously shared the music to one of his out of print compositions.

“They tried to bury us. They didn't know we were seeds.”

The quote was originally written in Greek by the 20th century poet Dinos Christianopoulos.  It and the memes it inspired have become a metaphor for struggle.  One website connected it to the following tags:  adversity, struggle, inspirational, power and survival.  I’d like to suggest it as a metaphor for faith.  Perhaps you will relate. 

For forty days I have reflected on the times I failed to live out my faith.  Today the empty tomb reminds me that the faith I sometimes try to bury is a seed. 

Wishing you a blessed and joyful Easter!
Blessed to be in ministry with you at St. Mary’s.
Bruce



No comments:

Post a Comment

Why won't you be my neighbor?

  October 25th 2020 3oth Sunday in Ordinary Time   Thus says the LORD: You shall not oppress or afflict a resident alien,  for you were once...