Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Lent III

Related image

Today’s first reading speaks of an encounter in the life of Moses.  God comes to Moses in the fire saying;  “I have witnessed the affliction of my people in Egypt and have heard their cry of complaint against their slave drivers, so I know well that they are suffering.Exodus 3:  

Last week we heard of an encounter between God and Abram (Abraham).  God says, “Look up at the sky and count the stars, if you can.  Just so”  (God added) “shall your descendants be”. Genesis  

Next week we will hear of the Lord speaking to Joshua.  Joshua is the successor to Moses, the person who ultimately leads the Israelites into the Promised Land.

What do you make of these stories?

I see two things:

1. God who wants to be in relationship with humanity.
2. A God who is present; providing, protecting and holding His people in relationship with each other.

As I reflected on these stories I thought of my mom and dad.  They provided for me before I was born i.e. before I even knew I was being provided for.  At an early age I came to know this and even figured out how to hasten the process.  

It took a long time, however for me to realize what I have received and taken for granted has been both unmerited and done out of love.   Can’t the same be said about our heavenly father?  

These reflections caused me to change my original music selections and repeat “God of Mercy” (#508) at communion.    Take a look and see what about this song speaks to you.

For our prelude I am introducing a new song by Ben Walther and Sarah Hart titled “Jesus, Meek and Humble” (#132).  Below is the entire third verse.  The third and forth line took my breath away.

Jesus, meek and humble, mercy born of pain
On the cross we fashioned from of sin and shame,
God Himself providing Lamb and sacrifice.
Jesus, meek and humble, in this death is life.


Blessed to be in ministry at St. Mary’s,

Bruce

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why won't you be my neighbor?

  October 25th 2020 3oth Sunday in Ordinary Time   Thus says the LORD: You shall not oppress or afflict a resident alien,  for you were once...